Transportation Office: 815-966-3700
Transportation Fax: 815-966-3007
Dispatch office is open 5 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday - Friday
Apply for a Bus Driver Position
The Rockford Public Schools Transportation Department works in partnership with school personnel, district administrators and parents to provide safe and efficient transportation for our students. Using a fleet of 267 buses, we transport more than 18,000 students to over 45 district sites. We run 200 routes daily. Sunrise provides transportation to RPS 205 students who require special services for the district.
The safety, welfare and security of your child are our top priorities. Our drivers strive to transport all students to and from school in the safest way possible.
Video cameras are utilized on buses to monitor behavior. The majority of our buses have three cameras: one camera monitors traffic out the front window and two cameras monitor behavior inside the bus. In order to protect student confidentiality, bus videos cannot be viewed by parents or the general public.
Busing information will be distributed on registration day at your child's school of attendance. If the information that is given to you at that time is incorrect, fill out a change of address form and give it to the secretary at your child's school. Upon receipt of all required information, the school will advise Transportation of the new residential information. Transportation staff will process the change and notify the parents by mail of the revised busing schedule.
Route numbers are displayed in the side window of the bus (next to the entrance door). The bus number painted on the bus may change but the route number that identifies the route will always be the same. Children should always identify their bus by the route number located in the window.
Parents please help us ensure a safe and happy school year by directing your child to following these safety tips:
- Students should be prepared to board the bus 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time for the first two weeks of school then they should be prepared to board the bus 5 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time thereafter.
- They should follow safe procedures while riding in the school and whenever they are near a school bus.
- They should "Avoid the Danger Zone!" The danger zone is the 10 foot area around the school bus.
- They should stand in a safe place away from traffic while waiting for the bus.
- They should be alert to traffic when crossing the street to board or depart the bus. They should always look left and right before entering the street. They should wait for the driver's signal before safely crossing and should cross 10 feet in front of the bus. When two or more students are boarding or departing from the bus stop, they should cross as a group.
- Eating, drinking, and gum chewing are NOT ALLOWED on the school bus. This policy is enforced to avoid choking hazards and/or allergic reactions.
Important Bus Information for the Start of the 2018-2019 School Year
- Route information for the upcoming school year will be mailed by August 6, 2018 this year. Information will not be distributed at school registration as it was the past few years. If you do not receive a route information postcard by August 13, 2018, call the Transportation Department to get your information. Please do not wait until the last minute.
- We hope to have bus route information posted on the Home Access Center by August 6, 2018. Please utilize this service and regularly check your student's route information. Bus route information is always subject to change and frequently does change before school begins due to large numbers of late additions and changes.
- Please make any address or baby sitter changes as early as possible. We recommend that you do not wait until the last minute, for you may not have an opportunity to get the bus stops you want at a late date.
- If you live within 1½ mile of your student's school, your student may not be eligible for bus transportation due to state statute. We will mail postcards to you by June 30, 2017 if your student does not qualify for the bus. There is still the possibility you could receive bus transportation to an eligible sitter address, but you must act prior to the sitter deadline of August 3, 2018 to have the greatest chance of receiving an alternate stop.
- The deadline for creating new babysitter bus stops is Friday, August 3, 2018. After this date, babysitter and alternate stops may only be at existing bus stops; no new stops for babysitters will be created.
- If your student rides Sunrise, please make sure you verify the Sunrise information postcard you will receive by August 6, 2018. If you discover errors, please call the Transportation Department for clarification and further instructions on how to correct the information before school starts.
- If you move over the summer, please contact the Welcome Center for instructions on how to complete an address change. Address changes must be done in person at the Welcome Center or your child's school and cannot be done over the phone by the Transportation Department.
Rockford Public Schools is currently hiring Bus Drivers and Crossing Guards. If you are interested in working with us, please call the Transportation Department at 815-966-3706 for more information.