Skip Navigation LinksRPS 205 Home > Departments > Leave of Absence

 Leave of Absence

​​​​​​​​​​​Request for medical, FMLA, maternity or other contractual leaves must be submitted through Reed Group by calling (888) 459-0793 or via the internet by going to

​Family Medical Leave Act

  • FMLA provides u​p to 12 weeks of extended leave for eligible employees who are unable to work due to a serious health condition; to care for a child after birth; to care for a child after foster care or adoption placement; or to care for an ill parent, spouse, or child with a serious health condition.
  • If you have been employed by the Rockford Public School District for at least 12 months and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the previous 12 months, you may be eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.
  • A serious health condition is defined as an illness, injury, or impairment of physical or mental condition that involves inpatient care in a hospital, hospice, or residential medical care facility. It may also be a period of incapacity requiring absence from work for more than three (3) days and the continuing treatment by a health care provider. The employee's supervisor can require a physician's excuse after an absence of three or more days.
Regulations for Other Types of Leave

All employees are required to make their request for leave in advance. Short-term leave requests, less than three (3) days, must be made with the immediate supervisor on the blue "Request for Leave" form. Some collective bargaining agreements allow for educational and professional growth opportunities. Such requests should be made in writing to the Human Resources Department.

Regulations for Unpaid Leaves

​Absence from work assignments for up to one year may be available through some collective bargaining agreements. These leaves are granted by the Superintendent of Schools and awarded with no employer-paid group health or dental insurance benefits. If the employee is awarded an unpaid leave of absence they will receive no pay or retirement benefits for the duration of the leave. Such leave requests must be in writing and forwarded to the Superintendent of Schools.

Submit all unpaid leave requests to:

Rockford Public Schools
Human Resources Department
Leave Request
501 7th Street
Rockford, Illinois 61104

Personal Business Days

Full time employees are entitled to certain personal business days, depending on contractual agreements. The days are not to be used indiscriminately but are set aside for use to conduct personal business that cannot be transacted after regular work hours. Special permission may be needed if personal business days are requested before or after a holiday.

To Top