Skip Navigation LinksRPS 205 Home > Departments > Departments > Families in Transition

 Families in Transition

RPS 205 ​serves the City of Rockford as well as parts of Winnebago County. During the 2016-2017 school year, the district’s three Families in Transition (FIT) advocates worked with 2,588 youths from ages birth to 21 and that number continues to increase. The number of high school youth, including unaccompanied youth (youth not living in the physical custody of parent/guardian) needing service has increased even more dramatically. Rockford Public Schools Families in Transition Program has numerous local organizations they keep in contact with such as the Mayor's Task Force, Crusader Clinic's Health Care for Homelessness and local shelters.

Your school-aged children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

Eligible Families

If you or your family live in any of the following situations:​

  • Children sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason (sometimes referred to as doubled-up)
  • Children living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodations
  • Children living in emergency or transitional shelters
  • Children abandoned in hospitals
  • Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
  • Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings
  • Unaccompanied youth (students not living in the physical custody of parent/guardian. Commonly referred to as runaways, lockouts, throwaways,​etc.)
  • Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances described above. 

Your eligible children have the right to:

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the schools the attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible
    • If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your child(ren), then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal this decision
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs
  • A priority to pre-school programs

Please contact the FIT Department if you believe your children may be eligible to find out what services and support may be available.​ Contact FIT using the information below or via Let's Talk!​​​

Elmer RiceFamilies in Transition Student
Kevin AndersonFamilies in Transition​ Student Advocate​
Valerie PobjeckyFamilies in Transition​ Student Advocate​ (habla Español)
Rosa SandovalFIT Support
Angela LundinExecutive Assistant to Chief of
Earl DotsonChief of
To Top