​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Kindergarten Enrollment
Parents/guardians​ of children who will be 5 years old on or before September 1 need to visit the Welcome Center to enroll their students. The elementary student assignment plan is based on zones (residential address of the parent/guardian). The plan requires incoming Kindergarten students to attend their neighborhood ​​​​school. ​​ After enrollment ​​the parent/guardian must go the assigned school to register​ the student, receive a classroom assignment and supply lists, and pay fees/pagar ​quotas​.​

  • All Rockford Public Schools kindergarten classes are full day.
  • Incoming students must be 5 on or before September 1st of the kindergarten school year to enroll​.
  • Kindergarteners are enrolled throughout the school year according to the Elementary Student Assignment Plan which is based upon zones (residential address of the parent/guardian). Click here to look up your zone school.​
  • The assignment plan requires that incoming kindergarten students attend their zone school.

Annual Special Kindergarten Enrollment Period
For your convenience the Welcome Center also holds an Annual Kindergarten Enrollment Period from January through March with the ​Welcome Center staff enrolling children at district Early Childhood sites, Head Start sites, and a special Saturday Enrollment Extravaganza at the Welcome Center in January.

Summerdale students 

Bilingual Kindergarten Enrollment
Children who regularly hear or speak a language other than English must complete a language assessment by a licensed specialist in the Welcome Center. After the assessment, the specialist will present all enrollment options t​o the student’s guardian.​​

Special Education Enrollment
A copy of the IEP (Individualized Education Program​) for a new or returning kindergarten student who receives Special Education Services will be sent to the Executive Director of Special Education for determination of eligibility, school placement and special transportation, if required. If the parent or guardian has a copy of the student's IEP paperwork or a copy of a student's 504 Plan, bring them when enrolling ​the student. 

Students who receive Special Education services can be served at any RPS 205 elementary school. Students who receive self-contained Special Education services are assigned to a school where their specific eligibility needs can be met. Each elementary school has been assigned a Special Education supervisor to assist parents with Special Education concerns.  

What to bring for Enrollment​
To Top