Skip Navigation LinksRPS 205 Home > News > Back to School: What you need to know

Back to School: What you need to know


When is registration? Elementary and Early Childhood Program registration is from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 11. Students who are new to the district must first enroll at the Stu​dent Assignment Center. Elementary students returning to RPS 205 after withdrawing from the district or attending an RPS 205 charter school must also enroll at the Student Assignment Center. Once enrolled, elementary students must register at their neighborhood school. Secondary registration (middle and high schools) is from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aug. 12, and again from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 13. Middle and high school students can both enroll and register at their zone school.

Where can I find information about student fees? Find information about the 2015-16 student fees and student fees waiver on the finance page. (Find more details about the waiver below under "Fee waivers – Q&A")

What if I miss registration? Contact your child's school to schedule a registration time.

When is the first day of school? The first day for students is Monday, Aug. 24. Early Childhood Program classes begin Monday, Aug. 31.


Breakfast & Lunch
The district is utilizing a federal meal program – what does that mean for me? The alternative meal program allows ALL students, regardless of family income, to receive breakfast and lunch at no additional cost to students. The district will still receive state reimbursement for breakfast and lunch, and increased federal reimbursement will replace out-of-pocket costs from students and their families for meals served at school. Parents/guardians will not need to complete a meal form at registration for the 2015-16 school year. They also won't need to send money with their children to cover the cost of school meals. The program is only applicable for student meals; it does not apply to a la carte items or items from the snack bar. Learn more here.


Fee waivers FAQs

Who can complete a fee waiver? Any parent/guardian who believes his/her child(ren) qualifies for a fee waiver for eligible student fees, athletic fees, co-curricular fees. Families who are directly certified from the state for free meals do NOT have to complete a form.

How will I know if I'm directly certified for free meals from the state? RPS 205 will mail a letter to your home before registration (Aug 11-13) to notify you if your student(s) qualify for direct certification.

What are the income guidelines? The guidelines are aligned with the Illinois State Board of Education.

Why don't I have to complete a free/reduced-price lunch form? RPS 205 is participating in a federal Community Eligibility Program that uses federal dollars to provide meals at no cost to all students, regardless of their family income. But there are other fees that can be waived if appropriate and qualifying documentation is provided.

What other fees can be waived? The waiver will cover eligible student fees, athletic fees and co-curricular fees.

​What do I need to do for my fees to be waived? The fee waiver application form is posted here and can be found at registration. Please only complete one application per family. The following information must be included:

  • A copy of the 2014 IRS Federal 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ (if household members file separate tax returns, both returns must be submitted).
  • Names of all household members, including the student(s) and the school(s) they attend.
  • Signature and social security number of adult household member.

What if I don't have a 1040 form? Send an email to or call 815-966-3042 to receive a separate form to verify household income.

Will school staff be able to make a copy of my 1040 at registration? No. Please make a copy of your 1040 prior to coming to registration. Staff will not make copies at registration. 

What if I'm considered homeless? Students in our Families in Transition department, or FIT, should contact the Finance Department at 815-966-3042.

When will my waiver form be processed? When will I know if my fees are waived?  Fee waivers will be processed by October. Fee waivers for students participating in fall athletics will be prioritized and processed within 48 hours. Please note on your application that your child will participate in a fall sport, or make sure your child's form is provided to your school's Athletic Director (for middle or high schools) so your child can still participate.

What if I can't attend registration during the designated time and date(s)? Please contact your child's school to schedule a visit.


I moved since the end of last school year. What do I do? Contact the Student Assignment Center to confirm your new address and ensure proper bus routing and school assignment. If you need alternate bus pick-up or drop-off address (to a daycare provider or sitter), please visit the Student Assignment Center or Transportation Department, 2000 Christina St., before Thursday, Aug. 6. Questions? Call the Transportation Department: 815-966-3700.

When will I find out details about my child's bus route? Parents/guardians will learn bus route information – bus stop location and pick-up time – at registration in August. Post cards with bus route information will NOT be mailed to parents for the coming school year.

Who needs proof of the meningococcal vaccination? Incoming 6th and 12th graders must show proof of meningococcal vaccination before August 24, 2015, the first day of school. Students will not be allowed to attend school until these screenings are complete. Appointment cards will not be accepted as a pass into school. Sixth graders must have proof of one dose. The first dose must be administered on or after their 11th birthday. High school seniors (12th graders) must have proof of two doses. One of those doses must be on or after their 16th birthday. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, the meningococcal vaccination will prevent your child from a severe form of bacterial meningitis, as well as other illnesses caused by this bacterium.

What other vaccinations or exams are necessary? When are they required? Students must have the following exams/immunizations before Aug. 24, the first day of school. Students will not be allowed to attend school until these screenings are complete, and appointment cards will not be accepted as a pass into school:

  • Physical exams: A student must have a physical examination within one year before entering a preschool program, kindergarten, sixth or ninth grades.
  • Immunizations: Students are required to show proof of basic immunizations and required boosters for Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio, MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella), and the following: 
​​​​Pre-K: Haemophilus Influen​zae Type B
Pre-K and 6th through 12th grades: Hepatitis B
Children 2 years up to 5th birthday (24-59 months): Pneumococcal Vaccine
Pre-K and Kindergarten: must show proof of lead screening
Kindergarten, 1st, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th grades: must show proof of 2 vaccinations for Varicella (chickenpox)
6th and 12th grades: must show proof of meningococcal vaccination​

  • Dental exams: Kindergarten, 2nd, 6th grades: Oral health exam is required before May 15, 2016. 
  • Vision: Students entering kindergarten must have an eye exam before Aug. 24.

Where can I schedule an appointment? Required health immunizations may be obtained at the doctor's office or clinic of your choice, including:

  • your child's primary care physician
  • The Winnebago County Health Department: 815-720-4000
  • Ronald McDonald Care Mobile: 815-971-5800, ext. 5
  • Crusader Community Health​ Auburn Campus, the school-based health center at Auburn High School: 815-490-1600

School Supply Lists
Where can I find school supply lists? Find your school​ on our website and see if a supply list is posted for the 2015-16 school year. While many schools post updated information in the summer, it's not required.

Uniform Policies
Where can I find out about school uniform policies? Learn more about uniform policies for our elementary and middle schools.

Other helpful links

Have more back-to-school questions? Please submi​t them via Let's Talk!