The Two-Way Language Immersion program is housed at Barbour, 1506 Clover Ave.
At Barbour predominantly English-speaking students and predominantly Spanish-speaking students share each classroom. The goal is to promote bilingualism and bi-literacy, grade-level academic achievement, and positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors in all students. Barbour's kindergarten through 8th graders learn to read, write, listen and speak in Spanish and English; however, academic courses are taught in one language, which varies by grade.
Two Way Language Immersion at Barbour is the ONLY Kindergarten through 8th grade school where students receive the gift of reading, writing and speaking in both English and Spanish, which opens doors of opportunity and prepares students successfully for the global market. An education at Barbour provides a unique multicultural experience.
For more information on Two-Way Language Immersion at Barbour, call 815-966-3395.
Two Way Language Immersion at Barbour Application and Entrance Procedures
2018 Kindergarten Lottery Application Deadline is March 2, 2018.
- Parents or guardians interested in the TWI program at Barbour will indicate interest at the Welcome Center or during off-site visits to early Childhood sites by the Welcome Center staff.
- A lottery will be used for selection of students in kindergarten. The lottery list is maintained for one year or until all open seats are filled with lottery students according to language ratios, at which time students on the interest list will be assessed for placement. Students not selected in Kindergarten will be placed on a wait list. First through 8th grade open seats will be filled from the waitlist.
- Preference is given to siblings of current Barbour students or students entering the district with documented prior Dual Language School experience.
- Kindergarten testing will take place at the student's home school site or at the Welcome Center by appointment. Students will be given an oral assessment to demonstrate proficiency in English or Spanish. Classes are composed of half English and half Spanish speakers.
- Mandatory orientation sessions for prospective kindergarten parents/guardians will be held and must be attended by parents for their child to be eligible to register for the program. Families are notified of the orientation sessions when applying. This includes families with siblings already attending the TWI program at Barbour.
- Orientation dates for this school year are:
- Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 9 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 9 a.m.
- The interest list is available on the Rockford Public Schools website on the Welcome Center page. Students on the list are assigned numbers to enable families to confidentially view their child's placement on the list. This number stays with the student as long as they remain on the interest list. Students are assigned to their zone school while on the interest list.
- As seats are available, students on the interest list are contacted to make an appointment for a language evaluation. Based on the language assessment, students are offered seats or kept on the interest list according to language ratios for the program.
- If a seat becomes available, based on seats available within the language allocation guidelines, families are contacted to schedule an assessment appointment. Students off the interest list are tested as follows:
- 1st semester Kindergarten only test in native language.
- 2nd semester Kindergarten through 1st grade will be tested in Spanish only.
- 2nd grade through 8th grade test in both languages if students transfer into the district from another bilingual program or parents indicate the student is bilingual.
- Students interested in Barbour who are in grade 3 or higher, whose parent or guardian indicate they are monolingual English or Spanish speakers, will not be screened or eligible to enter Barbour.
- Once school has begun, the principal will schedule parent orientation meetings for new parents/guardians , and for families of students who are offered seats from the wait list which must be attended before the student is eligible to register. The interest list will be consulted the last week of every month, with orientation appointments to be scheduled the first week of every month for students interested in open seats.
- Families of students on the TWI interest list or waitlist remain there until the family contacts the Welcome Center to remove the student, or until a seat becomes available, at which time the Welcome Center will contact the family to accept or decline the seat. If the seat is declined, the student is then removed from the list.