Transportation Office: 815-966-3700
Transportation Fax: 815-966-3007
Dispatch office is open 5 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday - Friday
Apply for a Bus Driver Position
The Rockford Public Schools Transportation Department works in partnership with school personnel, district administrators and parents to provide safe and efficient transportation for our students. Using a fleet of 267 buses, we transport more than 18,000 students to over 45 district sites. We run 200 routes daily. Sunrise provides transportation to RPS 205 students who require special services for the district.
The safety, welfare and security of your child are our top priorities. Our drivers strive to transport all students to and from school in the safest way possible.
Video cameras are utilized on buses to monitor behavior. The majority of our buses have three cameras: one camera monitors traffic out the front window and two cameras monitor behavior inside the bus. In order to protect student confidentiality, bus videos cannot be viewed by parents or the general public.
Busing information will be distributed on registration day at your child's school of attendance. If the information that is given to you at that time is incorrect, fill out a change of address form and give it to the secretary at your child's school. Upon receipt of all required information, the school will advise Transportation of the new residential information. Transportation staff will process the change and notify the parents by mail of the revised busing schedule.
Route numbers are displayed in the side window of the bus (next to the entrance door). The bus number painted on the bus may change but the route number that identifies the route will always be the same. Children should always identify their bus by the route number located in the window.
Parents please help us ensure a safe and happy school year by directing your child to following these safety tips:
- Students should be prepared to board the bus 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time for the first two weeks of school then they should be prepared to board the bus 5 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time thereafter.
- They should follow safe procedures while riding in the school and whenever they are near a school bus.
- They should "Avoid the Danger Zone!" The danger zone is the 10 foot area around the school bus.
- They should stand in a safe place away from traffic while waiting for the bus.
- They should be alert to traffic when crossing the street to board or depart the bus. They should always look left and right before entering the street. They should wait for the driver's signal before safely crossing and should cross 10 feet in front of the bus. When two or more students are boarding or departing from the bus stop, they should cross as a group.
- Eating, drinking, and gum chewing are NOT ALLOWED on the school bus. This policy is enforced to avoid choking hazards and/or allergic reactions.
Rockford Public Schools is currently hiring Bus Drivers and Crossing Guards. If you are interested in working with us, please call the Transportation Department at 815-966-3706 for more information.