Since being appointed superintendent of the Rockford Public Schools in July 2013, Dr. Ehren Jarrett has led progress in these areas:
- A groundbreaking collaboration with the teachers union, including alternative bargaining, strengthening of the teacher evaluation process and creation of a teaching pathway for students
- A 5 point increase in the five-year graduation rate
- Sustained increases in the average attendance rate, which have yielded at least $1 million more in state funding
- Implementation of high school academies, leading to recognition as a Model Community by Ford Next Generation Learning and inclusion in the Great Lakes College and Career Partnership
- A $250 million, 10-year facilities plan that enhances the campus of every school in the district
- Expanded access to early childhood education
- Significant increases in district ACT scores and Advanced Placement participation
- Increases in student participation in athletics, co-curricular activities and fine arts
Progress has been guided by the RPS 205 Strategic Plan to drive innovation and improvement. The five-year plan, approved in 2015, was created by a committee of teachers, administrators, community leaders, students and parents. That group was informed by more than 3,500 stakeholders.
Fiscal stewardship has been a top priority for Dr. Jarrett and the School Board. The district has maintained a flat tax levy since 2009 despite declining local property values.
Dr. Jarrett joined the district's leadership team in June 2011 as an assistant superintendent. Prior to his tenure in Rockford, he was principal at Hononegah Community High School in Rockton for four years. While he was there, Newsweek Magazine and the Washington Post both recognized Hononegah for improved student achievement.
Jarrett earned his doctorate in Educational Leadership from Northern Illinois University. He is a member of the NIU Alumni Board and has been honored as an NIU College of Education Alumni of the Year. He is also a member of the Alignment Rockford Governing Board, the United Way Annual Campaign Cabinet, and the Discovery Center Board of Directors. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Rockford Area Economic Development Council. Dr. Jarrett is also a member of Ford NGL's Leadership Council and Superintendent's Council.
He lives in Rockford with his wife, Christie, and their two children.
Contact the Superintendent
Dr. Ehren Jarrett
RPS 205 Administration Building
501 7th St.
Rockford, Ill. 61104