Dr. Ehren Jarrett has led dramatic change in the Rockford Public Schools. There's been notable progress in these areas:
- A groundbreaking collaboration with the teachers union, including alternative bargaining, strengthening of the teacher evaluation process and creation of a teaching pathway for students
- Increases in student enrollment, translating to a 3 percent increase in market share (measured against the total number of students in private and public schools)
- Implementation of high school academies, leading to recognition as a Model Community by Ford Next Generation Learning and inclusion in the Great Lakes College and Career Partnership
- A $250 million, 10-year facilities plan that enhances the campus of every school in the district
- Expanded access to early childhood education with a 17 percent increase in seats
- A 51 percent increase in student participation in athletics and a 25 percent increase in students in fine arts
Progress has been guided by the RPS 205 Strategic Plan to drive innovation and improvement. The five-year plan, approved in 2015, was created by a committee of teachers, administrators, community leaders, students and parents. The group was informed by more than 3,500 stakeholders.
Fiscal stewardship has been a top priority for Dr. Jarrett and the School Board. The district has maintained a flat tax levy since 2009 despite declining local property values.
About the Superintendent
Dr. Ehren Jarrett is
in his sixth school year leading the Rockford Public Schools after the Board of
Education appointed him superintendent in July 2013. Jarrett joined the district's leadership team
in June 2011 as an assistant superintendent. He earned his doctorate in
Educational Leadership from Northern Illinois University. NIU's College of
Education has honored him as Alumni of the Year; he also serves on the NIU
Alumni Board. He is a member of the Alignment Rockford Governing Board,
the Discovery Center Board of Directors and the Board of Directors for the
Rockford Area Economic Development Council. In addition to membership on the
Ford NGL Leadership Council and its Superintendent's Council, Dr. Jarrett is
the vice president of the Board of Directors for the Large Unit District
Association, which serves 51 percent of Illinois students.
He lives in Rockford
with his wife, Christie, and their two children.
Contact the Superintendent
Dr. Ehren Jarrett
RPS 205 Administration Building
501 7th St.
Rockford, Ill. 61104
Super's Update on the 205 VIBE™ Blog
Superintendent's Student Advisory Council
Rockford Public Schools is looking for students to serve on the Superintendent's Student Advisory Council (SSAC). This opportunity is open to students who will be a sophomore, junior or senior for the 2019-20 school year. Apply by May 3 to serve on the SSAC.