Rockford Public Schools announced a new media campaign called Our Alumni Rock to highlight former students who gained skills of leadership, critical thinking, collaboration and listening to different points of view throughout their education at RPS 205.
The campaign begins today. The following alumni will be profiled – one per week – on the RPS 205 blog on rrstar.com:
- Anqunette Parham, Auburn High School (1999), former public health advocate and future attorney;
- Paul Thome, East High School (1969), president of Sallie Mae Bank;
- Dr. Zach Morris, Guilford High School (1998), assistant professor, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine;
- Brittany Glidden, Jefferson High School (1998), journalism teacher at East High School;
- Melissa Cadena, Roosevelt Alternative High School (2012), quality control at Fastenal, Loves Park
In addition to the blog, these alumni will be featured on social media and on rps205.com. After each RPS 205 high school is represented, additional alumni will be highlighted to continue the campaign at rps205.com/OurAlumniRock. Students will also see posters in the schools featuring successful alumni. The posters will be tangible reminders of the importance of college and career readiness. They will also prove to current RPS 205 students that you can get there from here.
The former students, in turn, are grateful for the foundation of their public school education. “I can never really pay back the many wonderful teachers from Rockford who shaped my education, but I do hope to carry on in their tradition,” Dr. Morris said.
Ehren Jarrett said the alumni are excellent examples of all you can be and do with a Rockford Public Schools education. The alumni project shows students that setting goals – even very big ones – is a prerequisite for success. “As proud as I am of our past contributions – to the community and the world – I know our future contributions are going to be even better,” he said.
To suggest an RPS 205 alumni for the campaign, please email Communications3@rps205.com.